The Forum for Agricultural Risk Management in Development (FARMD) 4th Annual Conference focused on:
Managing Agricultural Risks in a
Changing Climate in Sub-Saharan Africa
Held on November 4-5, 2014 in Johannesburg, South Africa, the two-day conference brought together more than 130 participants from the public and private sectors, academia, farmer organizations, and development organizations. The objective of this conference was to understand climate change and its implications for agricultural risk management in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Emphasis was be put on the differentinterventions, tools and strategies that help manage agricultural risks in the short run while building resilience to climate change in longer run. Solution-oriented sessions were devoted to a range of topics, including:
- Climate change trends and risks;
- Extreme weather events and subsequent impacts on agricultural production systems;
- Implications of climate change on pest and disease outbreaks;
- Climate change and market risks;
- Climate change and enabling environment risks; and
- Agricultural risk management for building resilience to climate change.