Technical Training Program "Agriculture Sector Risk Assessment"
The World Bank, through its Agricultural Risk Management Team, has developed a methodology for assessing risk and subsequently conducted risk assessments in nearly 20 countries. The World Bank has synthesized its experience and developed a technical training program on agricultural sector risk assessment to allow practitioners around the world apply this methodology and integrate it in general agricultural policy work. The program was originally introduced as a two-day training in Johannesburg, South Africa, in May 2015.
The program includes core principles for assessing agricultural risks, as well as current state-of-the-art practices in risk assessment and management. The hope is that development practitioners will acquire the skillset to better analyze the agricultural sector, the tools for qualitative and quantitative assessment and for prioritizing mechanisms, and the ability to understand and manage risk more systematically and strategically.
This technical training is geared towards policy makers and development practitioners who are involved in designing and implementing agricultural programs and policies. In particular, technical staff from Ministries of Agriculture, Livestock, and Fisheries or Ministry of Finance and Economic Planning who are engaged in agricultural policy, planning, management, and monitoring might specially benefit from this training.
The prevalence and complexity of multiple risks facing agriculture systems and the failure to address them on an ex-ante and integrated basis, continues to leave countries and their agricultural sector exposed to these risks. The apparent increase in frequency of commodity price volatility and crop failures, added to concerns over climate change and food security, have increased global interest in agricultural risk management. Considering that governments, especially in lower income and agricultural dependent countries, are vulnerable to agricultural risks, there is a clear need to better understand and assess these risks and associated vulnerabilities. By knowing the frequency and impacts of existing risks to the sector, the private and public sectors can better manage these risks and limit their impacts.
Download the ARMT Technical Training Program on Agricultural Sector Risk Assessment
- Module 1: Conceptual Framework and Operational Approach PART 1 (Download PDF)
- Module 1: Conceptual Framework and Operational Approach PART 2 (Download PDF)
- Module 2 Understanding the Context and Background Research PART 1 (Download PDF)
- Module 2 Understanding the Context and Background Research PART 2 (Download PDF)
- Module 3 Data Analysis (Download PDF)
- Module 4 Quantification (Download PDF)
- Module 5: Field Assessment (Download PDF)
- Module 6: Qualitative Assessment (Download PDF)
- Module 7 Prioritizing Risk (Download PDF)
- Module 8 Vulnerability Assessment (Download PDF)
- Module 9 Incorporating Climate Change (Download PDF)
- Module 10 Risk Management Solutions (Download PDF)
- Module 11 Operationalizing Risk Management (Download PDF)
Webinar: Overview of the Technical Training Program "Agriculture Sector Risk Assessment" by Åsa Giertz, Agricultural Specialist, World Bank's Agricultural Risk Management Team
On November 5th, 2015, Åsa Giertz, Agricultural Specialist with the World Bank's Agricultural Risk Management Team, gave an overview of the Technical Training Program on "Agriculture Sector Risk Assessment" and answered questions during a one-hour long webinar presentation.